Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Praying Lesson: Grandmother

I am a grandmother of five. Two grandsons and three granddaughters. I am blessed to be and have and know this reality. So many grandmothers do not even know of their grandchildren, and when I say that, I am speaking of the many unknown abortions, adoptions, and those daddies that skip, never acknowledging nor claiming who they sired thereby denying grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and themselves from ever knowing their kin. Many grandmothers are in nursing homes and never get to see their families, I used to work in a nursing home and I witness the sadness and loneliness and the longing for family there. And a lot of them was suffering from Alzheimer's disease or senility their minds held no memory or it teased and taunted them with bits and pieces like some kind of guessing game.
I am a grandmother. I see our future walking and talking and growing. I see hope and possibilities taking shape and unfolding. I see soon outstanding men and women coming of age and making an impact on America. I see God's wonder being performed, carrying on, going on.
I know as a grandmother I am blessed. I know a woman who was a part of the state sterilization process decades ago when she was a very young girl and others whose daughters are very ill and some have had to  have hysterectomies before they bore even their first child and whose daughters cannot conceive.
They praying lesson is there. Helen's daughter would have loved to have met the matriarch of the family, the first teacher, shaper, waterbearer, planter of the seeds  of Helen's mind.
The blessing is the lesson.

1 comment:

  1. The matriarchs of my family were gone by the time I arrived on the scene. :( My history tho, on my dad's side began in Loudon County, VA. I would like find out more about my family. My great-great granfather was Enos, a freedman, and my grandmother, Louisa. I wonder of their life--because it is part of mine.

    ReplyDelete